Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) is the most common and severe form of muscular dystrophy. According to researches, one out of every three thousand five hundred boys are born with the disorder, which is invariably fatal. However, stem cell treatment in India for DMD gives new hope to patients with the condition. Like other degenerative disorders, DMD results from the loss of cells needed for the correct functioning of the body. In the case of DMD, a vital muscle protein is mutated, and its absence leads to the progressive degeneration of all the muscles in the body.
What is Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, and What Are Its Symptoms?
Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a condition which causes muscle weakness. It starts in childhood and may be noticed when a child has difficulty standing up, climbing or running. It is a genetic condition and can be inherited. It usually affects only boys, although girls may carry the Duchenne gene. Boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy should have regular check-ups and physiotherapy from childhood. They are likely to need increasing help and treatments from about the age of 9 years.
Symptoms of DMD
The symptoms usually start around age 1-3 years. Parents may notice the following:
- The child has difficulty walking, running, jumping and climbing stairs.
- When you pick the child up, you may feel as if he ‘slips through your hands due to the looseness of the muscles around the shoulder.
- The calf muscles may look bulky, although they are not strong.
- As the child gets older, they may use their hands to help get up.
- Some patients with DMD also have learning difficulties. Usually, this is not severe.
- Sometimes, a delay in development may be the first sign of DMD. The child’s speech development may also be delayed. However, DMD is only one of the possible causes of developmental delay – there are many other causes not related to DMD.
Stem Cell Therapy for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy in India
Evidently, there are no cures for DMD, and symptom-based multidisciplinary management of the disease has only improved survival and reduced symptoms without focusing on treating the root cause, i.e., muscle damage. At this point, stem cell therapy or regenerative medicine comes to the rescue. There are various stem cell centres that provide stem cell treatment for Duchenne muscular dystrophy in Delhi. They will only use the latest technology and provide the best treatment professionals in India.
The treatment is promising and one of the procedures that can prove to be beneficial in the long run, which hence will also help cell lineage.
Before we approach stem cell treatment for this condition, experts provide a new supply of stem cells that carry the missing protein lacking in DMD. These cells must be delivered to the body to engraft in the muscles and produce new, healthy muscle tissue on an ongoing basis.
Autologous cell therapy at Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment centres in India not only reduces the patient’s DMD symptoms and clinical presentation but also cures muscle wastage and restores muscle functioning, besides enhancing balance and stamina of the body.