Stem cell therapy for autism in India is an ongoing debate. Many successful experiments have proved it a potential cure. However, further studies are underway to explore the role of stem cell treatment for autism.
Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurological and developmental disorder that manifests with communication problems accompanied by rigid, repetitive behavioral patterns. It usually develops in the first two years after a child’s birth and continues throughout a person’s life.
How do Stem Cells Help in the treatment of Autism?
The immunomodulatory capacity of stem cells decreases the severity of symptoms associated with the condition. Stem cells also restore damaged neuronal connections, thus improving the synaptic transmission of nerve impulses.
Mentioned below are three different underlying mechanisms by which stem cells address ASD-mediated immune and inflammatory abnormalities and help in relieving symptoms:
- When given intravenously, the stem cells improve functional immune activity. They inhibit pro-inflammatory(inflammation-causing) factors and increase the levels of the anti-inflammatory molecule.
- Another mechanism of stem cells for autism is to form new neural connections in the brain by secreting various neurotrophic factors. These factors stimulate neurite outgrowth and protect neurons against ischemic injury through a paracrine mechanism. In this way, they replace the damaged neurons and promote the formation of new blood vessels in the brain.
- The stem cells induce changes in brain structural connectivity, which improves the restricted behavioral patterns in Autism.
Merits of Stem Cell Treatment for Autism
There are several benefits of using stem cell therapy for autism in Delhi. Below are a few of them:
- Stem cells can transform and replace the destroyed/damaged cells.
- Stem cell therapy has a low risk of complications
- Stem cell therapy can improve: behavior, communication skills, verbal skills, self-care skills, writing, concentration, and attention capacity
- The treatment can lead to a better tolerance to different foods and digestion and less fear of loud noises, strangers, and bright colors.
Are There Any Side Effects of Stem Cell Therapy?
Like many other medical treatments, stem cell therapy for autism does have its risks and reactions. But the side effects are not that significant. There is no life-threatening complication has been reported. Some patients may have an adverse reaction, such as fever, after the procedure, but that’s manageable.
However, typical side effects of stem cell therapy include headache, fatigue, and nausea. Post-treatment, when new cells are injected into the patient’s body, it can experience chills, fever, and headaches. Dealing with the problems like lack of appetite and dryness of the mouth and eyes after the procedure is also not uncommon.
Patients can take advantage of stem cell-based therapies to improve their quality of life and overcome societal communication and behavioral issues. However, it is essential to share information about the side effects of your experience with your care team. Many of these side effects subside with time as your immune system recovers.